Mali separatists release 82 soldiers, including some held since a major attack in April

Mali separatists release 82 soldiers, including some held since a major attack in April
August 13, 2026

LATEST NEWS

Mali separatists release 82 soldiers, including some held since a major attack in April

Your support helps us to tell the story

From reproductive rights to climate change to Big Tech, The Independent is on the ground when the story is developing. Whether it’s investigating the financials of Elon Musk’s pro-Trump PAC or producing our latest documentary, ‘The A Word’, which shines a light on the American women fighting for reproductive rights, we know how important it is to parse out the facts from the messaging.

At such a critical moment in US history, we need reporters on the ground. Your donation allows us to keep sending journalists to speak to both sides of the story.

The Independent is trusted by Americans across the entire political spectrum. And unlike many other quality news outlets, we choose not to lock Americans out of our reporting and analysis with paywalls. We believe quality journalism should be available to everyone, paid for by those who can afford it.

Your support makes all the difference.Read more

Separatists in northern Mali have released 82 soldiers, including some taken captive during a nationwide attack on government forces in April, the Malian military and a rebel spokesperson said Thursday.

A statement from the Malian Armed Forces said that the “freed soldiers are now safe and being cared for by the relevant authorities.” Mohamed Elmaouloud Ramadane, a spokesperson for the separatist Azawad Liberation Front, confirmed the release.

Mali has been plagued for over a decade by insurgencies by militants affiliated with al-Qaida and the Islamic State group, including JNIM, as well as a Tuareg-led separatist rebellion in the north.

Violence escalated in recent months after an alliance of JNIM and Tuareg separatists carried out coordinated attacks on April 25, targeting the airport of the country’s capital, Bamako, the nearby garrison town of Kati, and several northern and central cities.

Ramadane said that the soldiers were released on humanitarian grounds, and that some of them had been held captive since as long ago as 2023. He said around 118 Malian soldiers are still captive.

April’s attacks exposed weaknesses of Mali’s strategy to combat the rebellion, including relying on Russia, which has partnered with the military-led government after it distanced itself from former allies such as France.

The soldiers’ release was announced the same day Mali’s president pardoned Yann Vézilier, a French national sentenced to 20 years in prison. Vézilier, who worked for the French Embassy in Mali, was arrested in August 2025 and accused of being an intelligence agent involved in a plot to destabilize the country.

The Malian government said in a statement the clemency did not overturn the court’s findings and required the individual’s immediate removal from the country.

The French foreign ministry didn’t immediately reply to a request for comment.

Share this post:

POLL

Who Will Vote For?

Other

Republican

Democrat

RECENT NEWS

Thousands of migrants in Ceuta wait in limbo while Spain figures out what to do with them

Thousands of migrants in Ceuta wait in limbo while Spain figures out what to do with them

American missionary kidnapped in Niger freed after nine months | Niger

American missionary kidnapped in Niger freed after nine months | Niger

Anti-LGBTQ+ laws are on the rise across west Africa, campaigners warn | LGBTQ+ rights

Anti-LGBTQ+ laws are on the rise across west Africa, campaigners warn | LGBTQ+ rights

Dynamic Country URL Go to Country Info Page