New Zealand outscored hosts South Africa five tries to one to win the first Test 33-16 at Ellis Park on Saturday and go one-up in the four-match series.
The Boks led 13-12 at half-time, but New Zealand took over in the second half to close it out and end South Africa’s unbeaten streak.
The All Blacks had been underdogs going into the first international of their eight-match tour but took full advantage of the home side’s numerous handling errors and ill discipline for a statement victory that ended a 12-match winning streak for the Springboks and will rock the confidence of the world champions.
“I’m incredibly proud, the score might be convincing but there was nothing in it and it was an absolute arm wrestle,” said winning coach Dave Rennie.
“We defended and defended and we were clinical when we got our opportunities. It’s a great result for us,”
Will Jordan extended his run as New Zealand’s record try scorer with two tries that bookended scores from Josh Moorby, Fabian Holland and Luke Jacobson.
South Africa’s try came from Andre Esterhuizen with three penalties and a conversion from Cheslin Kolbe but they lost their discipline towards the end, after multiple turnovers, and finished with 13 players as Marco van Staden and Cobus Reinach were sent to the sin bin in the final 10 minutes.
“In hindsight there were two or three big moments where we let the game get away from us because New Zealand forced us into errors by being intense and sharp,” said coach Rassie Erasmus.
The series moves to sea level in Cape Town next Saturday and New Zealand are now the surprising front-runner in the first full series between the teams in 30 years.
Latest posts by News Source (see all)
Post Views: 905