ESWATINI, MOZ AND SA JOIN FORCES TO ELIMINATE INCREASING XENOPHOBIC ATTACKS

ESWATINI, MOZ AND SA JOIN FORCES TO ELIMINATE INCREASING XENOPHOBIC ATTACKS
May 20, 2026

LATEST NEWS

ESWATINI, MOZ AND SA JOIN FORCES TO ELIMINATE INCREASING XENOPHOBIC ATTACKS

  • Tripartite countries agree to build a special economic zone at their joint border

BY THEMBA ZWANE

MBABANE – The Kingdom of Eswatini, Mozambique and South Africa have joined forces in an effort to eliminate increasing xenophobic attacks in the latter country.

Mozambican Minister of Foreign Affairs, Maria Lucas, stated about a week ago that the solution to xenophobia in South Africa starts with the creation of more jobs; hence, she announced that the two countries and Eswatini are now betting on the creation of a special economic zone at their joint border.

“If you look at the percentage of the African population living in South Africa, it is only 4%; if you look at the population detained for crimes, our African population does not reach more than 6%. So, what this means is that the problem really isn’t that of having Africans there in South Africa, the problem is economic and social; it is unemployment,” said Mozambican Minister of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation, in Maputo.

The Mozambican Club further reported that South Africa has recorded demonstrations and social tensions targeting migrants; at the beginning of the month, a march against immigration culminated in attacks on foreign-owned businesses in the Eastern Cape province, in the east of the neighbouring country.

According to the Mozambican official, the solution to the crisis is not police or military-based, but rather the economic development of countries “to be able to provide employment.”

“South Africa is creating a special economic zone at the border. On the South African side, the project is at a very advanced stage, and there has now been consensus for its extension to the Mozambican and Eswatini sides,” she said, adding that the tripartite special economic zone should boost regional development, considering that many Mozambicans travel to South Africa in search of employment.

A few weeks back, Mozambican President Daniel Chapo guaranteed in South Africa that there are no records of national citizens killed or injured in incidents related to xenophobia in that neighboring country, criticizing the circulation of false information on social media.

“The official information we have so far is that no Mozambican has been affected by this situation, and we will continue to monitor it,” said the Mozambican Head of State, Daniel Chapo, in Pretoria, while reviewing his visit to that neighboring country.

Xenophobic tensions are a recurring problem in South Africa. Numerous immigrant communities have been repatriated by their own countries, such as Mozambique or Nigeria, and South Africa has been the target of harsh international criticism for xenophobia.

Chapo expressed “deep concern” regarding the acts of violence and intolerance directed against African foreigners, including Mozambicans residing in South Africa, having expressed his confidence in that country’s Government, indicating that it will ensure the protection of those residing there.

The Mozambican President asked for “calm and serenity” from nationals in South Africa, promising continuous efforts for the resumption of stability and peace.

#Tripatite #Eswatini #SouthAfrica #Mozambique #EconomocZone #XynophobiaAttacks


Post Views: 1

Share this post:

POLL

Who Will Vote For?

Other

Republican

Democrat

RECENT NEWS

SADC UniVisa edges closer to adoption as region pushes for seamless travel

SADC UniVisa edges closer to adoption as region pushes for seamless travel

BOOST FOR ESWATINI’S PETROLEUM AMBITIONS

BOOST FOR ESWATINI’S PETROLEUM AMBITIONS

EITF 2026 Freezes Exhibition Rates to Cushion MSMEs

EITF 2026 Freezes Exhibition Rates to Cushion MSMEs

Dynamic Country URL Go to Country Info Page