Congo’s Ebola outbreak reaches 5,000 cases as it outpaces response efforts at unprecedented speed

Congo’s Ebola outbreak reaches 5,000 cases as it outpaces response efforts at unprecedented speed
August 19, 2026

LATEST NEWS

Congo’s Ebola outbreak reaches 5,000 cases as it outpaces response efforts at unprecedented speed

Your support helps us to tell the story

From reproductive rights to climate change to Big Tech, The Independent is on the ground when the story is developing. Whether it’s investigating the financials of Elon Musk’s pro-Trump PAC or producing our latest documentary, ‘The A Word’, which shines a light on the American women fighting for reproductive rights, we know how important it is to parse out the facts from the messaging.

At such a critical moment in US history, we need reporters on the ground. Your donation allows us to keep sending journalists to speak to both sides of the story.

The Independent is trusted by Americans across the entire political spectrum. And unlike many other quality news outlets, we choose not to lock Americans out of our reporting and analysis with paywalls. We believe quality journalism should be available to everyone, paid for by those who can afford it.

Your support makes all the difference.Read more

The Ebola outbreak in Congo has reached 5,000 cases, government data showed Wednesday, as responders warn it is spreading at an unprecedented speed outpacing efforts to slow it in one of the country’s remotest regions.

Data from Congo’s Ministry of Health showed the outbreak had so far recorded 5,021 cases, including 2,378 deaths as of Sunday, as it rages in some of the most challenging conditions imaginable fueled by insecurity, displacement and intense population movements.

The outbreak has infected and killed more people at a greater speed than any other outbreak in history.

Starting from the first detected case, it has spread about three times faster than an outbreak from 2014 to 2016 across West Africa, which was the deadliest Ebola outbreak on record with more than 11,000 deaths.

The outbreak “has spread rapidly and the risk of further national and international spread remains high,” World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Tuesday at a meeting convened by the agency.

“We must be frank: the epidemic is far from being under control,” he said.

Safety concerns have limited the response as health workers are targeted, particularly in Ituri, the province that has been hit the worst by the outbreak.

Residents on Monday attacked a health team in the territory of Aru after a suspected case was reported there. A mob set fire to an ambulance and damaged two other vehicles, according to Michael Wani, president of the Union of Cultural Associations for the Development of Ituri.

Share this post:

POLL

Who Will Vote For?

Other

Republican

Democrat

RECENT NEWS

Mobile gold miners in eastern Congo complicate health workers' efforts to contain Ebola

Mobile gold miners in eastern Congo complicate health workers’ efforts to contain Ebola

Congo’s fast-moving Ebola outbreak becomes the country's worst with over 2,300 dead

Congo’s fast-moving Ebola outbreak becomes the country’s worst with over 2,300 dead

Ebola outbreak in Democratic Republic of Congo now deadliest in country’s history | Ebola

Ebola outbreak in Democratic Republic of Congo now deadliest in country’s history | Ebola

Dynamic Country URL Go to Country Info Page