Congo to receive 70,000 doses of Ervebo Ebola vaccine which has been effective in past outbreaks

Congo to receive 70,000 doses of Ervebo Ebola vaccine which has been effective in past outbreaks
August 20, 2026

LATEST NEWS

Congo to receive 70,000 doses of Ervebo Ebola vaccine which has been effective in past outbreaks

Your support helps us to tell the story

From reproductive rights to climate change to Big Tech, The Independent is on the ground when the story is developing. Whether it’s investigating the financials of Elon Musk’s pro-Trump PAC or producing our latest documentary, ‘The A Word’, which shines a light on the American women fighting for reproductive rights, we know how important it is to parse out the facts from the messaging.

At such a critical moment in US history, we need reporters on the ground. Your donation allows us to keep sending journalists to speak to both sides of the story.

The Independent is trusted by Americans across the entire political spectrum. And unlike many other quality news outlets, we choose not to lock Americans out of our reporting and analysis with paywalls. We believe quality journalism should be available to everyone, paid for by those who can afford it.

Your support makes all the difference.Read more

Congo will receive 70,000 doses of the Ervebo vaccine, which has been effective in past Ebola outbreaks, the World Health Organization and partners said Thursday, announcing a step seen as a major boost to efforts to contain what officials have described as the fastest Ebola outbreak in history.

The Ervebo vaccine is licensed for use against Ebola virus, one of the viruses that cause Ebola disease, but not for Bundibugyo virus, which is responsible for the current outbreak.

WHO said in a statement that while it’s not known whether Ervebo may protect against the Bundibugyo virus, “early laboratory and animal data suggest it may provide some protection.”

The allocation includes 20,000 doses for a Phase 3 clinical trial to understand the impact of the vaccine on the Bundibugyo virus, the agency said. The remaining 50,000 doses will be used for front-line and health workers as recommended by WHO experts.

The outbreak raging on in eastern Congo has so far killed 2,476 people out of the 5,208 confirmed cases.

It has infected and killed more people at a greater speed than any other Ebola outbreak in history, and is spreading about three times faster than that of 2014-2016 across West Africa, which was the deadliest Ebola outbreak on record with more than 11,000 deaths.

The lack of approved vaccines or treatments for the rare Bundibugyo virus has been a major issue for responders. Also, most new cases are being reported outside of the people being monitored, showing it has spread quickly and left surveillance teams racing to catch up.

Share this post:

POLL

Who Will Vote For?

Other

Republican

Democrat

RECENT NEWS

What to know about the outbreak of a rare kind of Ebola

What to know about the outbreak of a rare kind of Ebola

The Guardian view on the Ebola outbreak in the DRC: a case study in why international aid matters | Editorial

The Guardian view on the Ebola outbreak in the DRC: a case study in why international aid matters | Editorial

Congo’s Ebola outbreak reaches 5,000 cases as it outpaces response efforts at unprecedented speed

Congo’s Ebola outbreak reaches 5,000 cases as it outpaces response efforts at unprecedented speed

Dynamic Country URL Go to Country Info Page