Strangled and dumped at seaMale relative confesses to killing baby Angelo; body yet to be found

7315473
May 21, 2026

LATEST NEWS

Strangled and dumped at seaMale relative confesses to killing baby Angelo; body yet to be found

After nine days of searching land and sea for two-year-old Angelo Tobias-Plaza, police say a suspect has confessed to murdering the child and disposing of the body at sea.

The toddler was reported missing from his Goodwood home around 7.30 pm on May 11.

After desperate searches at the Studley Park landfill and Pig Farm Road, Goldsborough, for nine days turned up empty-handed, cops returned yesterday to where it all began — Angelo’s home on Cambridge Trace.

Police said a close male relative confessed to strangling the child and throwing his body into the sea.

The suspect was taken to Cambridge Trace yesterday around 8 am after he gave investigating officers key evidence on the child’s disappearance. He was later whisked away as police cordoned off the area leading to the child’s home to refocus their search for the child.

Crime scene investigators were at the seaside home yesterday evening processing the scene as they continued to build evidence in their case and hopefully find clues which may somehow guide them to finding the child.

The toddler’s mother was brought to the scene then as well, to help police piece together some of the new information they had gathered.

Four men and three women had been in police custody over Angelo’s disappearance, but Snr Supt Rodhill Kirk told Guardian Media yesterday that the majority of suspects were released.

Hunters’ Search and Rescue Team captain Vallence Rambharat said his unit was on standby yesterday, after they were initially told that the main suspect was to be brought to the child’s home to give further evidence that may have helped the search teams locate the child’s remains. However, he said the suspect later complained of feeling ill and was taken to the Scarborough General Hospital for treatment.

The team commander, Shamsudeen Ayub, said there was a sense of relief that the suspect had finally begun to cooperate with police.

“Let’s hope the information he shared with police is accurate so the family can get closure and the country at large,” he said.

Ayube said the country has been on edge and traumatised over the situation.

Village on edge

As news spread of a confession, sorrowful villagers gathered in the community and demanded justice.

Goodwood Village Council executive member Wendy Des Vignes praised the police for their diligent work, but said she wanted to see Angelo’s body.

“When I actually see the body — dead or alive — then I will know justice is being served. There is nothing to rejoice about. I am hoping that this little child will surface,” Des Vignes said.

An emotional Agnes Alleyne, 87, the matriarch of Goodwood, said she was appalled by the violence within her community. She told the media she would have gladly adopted Angelo, whom she saw regularly when he entered her supermarket with his mother. She described him as a very sweet child.

“I have never seen such a thing in my life. It hurt me. I see my food, I can’t even eat my food when I heard that this boy confess,” Alleyne said.

“It hurt me very, very much, to know that very sweet boy (was murdered). Why they didn’t bring that child and give me? I would have adopt the child if they didn’t want the child. Sad, sad situation.”

She lamented a breakdown in parenting in the village.

“The parents nowadays, some parents don’t know how to bring up children.”

She recalled hiring a young landscaper, who brought his child to the job site and was smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol around the minor.

“What kind of thing is this going on with parents and children? Bring up your children in the right way,” she said.

Alleyne said it will take time for Goodwood to heal from this tragedy.

Pembroke native Chanda Jerry, who has been in Goodwood daily praying for Angelo’s safe return, said it was important that they be the voice of Angelo.

Jerry and Goodwood villagers held a candlelight vigil on Sunday and again held a prayer session on Monday, despite Angelo’s family not endorsing the events.

She said, “Even though I was chastised for what I am doing…I wanna thank God for standing with me that they did not stop me from doing what He called me to do.

“I get plenty licks on Facebook for it, but I stood strong because I know I was fighting for a good cause.”

Goodwood villager Bindley De Coteaux said every parent in the area feels saddened by the situation.

“It is very disheartening to know something like this could happen to a toddler,” he said.

He urged the public to give the police time to do their job, as they are the ones trained to handle these situations.

The search for Angelo’s body enters day ten today.

Timeline of baby Angelo’s disappearance

May 11: Two-year-old Angelo Tobias-Plaza was reported missing from his Goodwood, Tobago home around 7.30 pm. Police and residents launched overnight searches.

May 12: Land and sea searches intensified. A resident reportedly saw what appeared to be the child’s body in the sea, but it disappeared before recovery efforts could succeed.

May 13 to 14: Police questioned close relatives and expanded searches using marine teams and drones.

May 15: Search operations entered a fourth day with no breakthrough. Vigils were held in the community.

May 16: Public concern grew as residents and relatives called for answers and justice. Police detained Angelo’s mother and her boyfriend and arrested a third suspect.

May 17: Tobago House of Assembly Chief Secretary Farley Augustine said “something not right” surrounded the case. Even as villagers were staging a vigil, police arrested four more suspects after raids in the community.

May 18: Investigators searched the Studley Park landfill based on intelligence leads, but found no trace of the toddler.

May 20: Police reported a major breakthrough after a male relative allegedly confessed to involvement in Angelo’s disappearance. Officers took the suspect to the family’s Goodwood home as investigations intensified.

Current status: Angelo Tobias-Plaza remains missing as police investigations continue.

Share this post:

POLL

Who Will Vote For?

Other

Republican

Democrat

RECENT NEWS

Roche Introduces Real-Time Glucose Monitoring System In T&T

Roche Introduces Real-Time Glucose Monitoring System In T&T

Two New Members Appointed To The Trinidad And Tobago Blind Welfare Association Council

Two New Members Appointed To The Trinidad And Tobago Blind Welfare Association Council

TTMS forecasts quiet hurricane season

TTMS forecasts quiet hurricane season

Dynamic Country URL Go to Country Info Page